Thursday, December 27, 2007

Feeling convicted

Last night, as I lay in bed, I was praying and thanking God for our wonderful Christmas & how blessed we are. I started to thank him for the gift of His Son, Jesus, when I got really convicted about something... never, not once, during our entire Christmas celebration did we even mention Jesus' name. Although I want Jonathan to have the experience of believing in Santa Claus, most importantly I want to make sure that he knows the real reason we celebrate Christmas. Every year we talk about how Christmas has become too commercial, yet we fall into the trap ourselves. Don't get me wrong, I love getting together with family & friends to exchange gifts & enjoy each other's company, I love the decorations, the movies, the music... everything "commercial" about the season. However, I really feel like I need to make more of an effort next year to bring Jesus' birth into the forefront of our celebrations. I'd love to start the tradition of reading the Christmas story from the Bible every year; in fact, because I know I tend to have grand ideas & then forget them, I'm going to put a note on the calendar. I just really felt convicted last night, and felt the need to put it out there.

On a lighter note, we were definitely blessed this year. We had such fun spending time with our families. Chris' family came over the evening of Christmas Eve. I had made chicken and dumplings (yum-o), mostly for Chris' mom, and they were quite good... if I do say so myself. After dinner we moved to the living room to open gifts. Jonathan racked up! Not to mention all of the goodies he got on Christmas day from my family. I'm seriously considering putting some of his toys up in the attic & switching them out come summer. That way they'll be like all new toys. And it will make more room in his playroom. It looks like a toy store in there! My parents came over yesterday & I made chicken and dumlings again. While I love me some chicken and dumplings, I think I'll be okay if we don't have them for a while.

Oh, and I had my weekly weigh in today. I gained .4 pounds... not too shabby considering the holiday & all. I'm really going to be diligent this week so it doesn't catch up to me. I actually didn't do too bad considering. Thankfully I'm not really a dessert person, but I am a bread person. I have to admit I went a little overboard on the rolls both Monday & Tuesday. I mean, when they're sitting right in front of you... what's a girl to do?

Wow, this turned out to be really long. Now it's really late and I need to get to bed. 'Night!

2 comments:

Haley said...

**Clears throat*** Only your parents came over for Christmas dinner? What am I? Chopped liver? haha.

Zoe said...

this is the first year we invited jesus to christmas. it was totally new experience for us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...