Saturday, July 14, 2007

Have you seen me?



Has anyone seen my happy-go-lucky little man who loves to laugh & sleeps well in his crib? Because we haven't, not in almost a week. Or what feels like a week anyway.

Wednesday I noticed Jonathan wasn't quite acting like himself; he wasn't really playing, didn't crawl at all (did I mention he learned how to do that?), and was just being kind of clingy. He had a bit of a temperature, about 101, nothing too major, so I gave him some tylenol and went on with the day. As the evening wore on his temperature kept going up. I called the on-call nurse once it got to 102.2, and she went through the list of symptoms which there weren't really any. At about 3:30 Thursday morning I checked again and his temp had gone up to 103.3! I called again and we went through the same list of questions, but this time we felt like we could see his ribs when he took a breath. That can be a sign that he's working too hard to breath, so off to the ER we went. (After the RSV I didn't want to take any chances.) In the ER they couldn't find anything wrong with him, other than his throat was a little red. So they just told us to keep watching him & push fluids. Thankfully we already had a doctors appointment set up for Friday morning, his 9 month checkup. Thursday night was pretty rough, but Chris and I did a split shift; he went to bed until around 3:00 and then came & relieved me & I went to bed. We could get him to sleep, but he would get so upset when we'd try to lay him down, even during the day. He basically just wanted to be held all of the time.

We went to his appointment Friday, where we found out he has/had a viral infection of some sort. His throat was still red (though negative for Strep), but his blood count showed it to be viral. Which unfortunately means you just have to ride it out. They gave him Motrin at the office & that's a miracle drug I tell ya. Within an hour or so his fever had broken & he was almost acting like himself. One glich in the ordeal is that he's cutting one of his top teeth & it seems to really be working him over something fierce. I'm hoping once that tooth pops through & the pain lets up my little man will be back.

I don't know how mothers do it whose babies won't sleep at night. It's only been a few days and I'm about to lose it. I've been so spoiled by him just going down & sleeping for 10 hours a night that I just don't know what to do. We can't get him to nap in his crib either. He just wants to be held. I'm afraid it's going to take us some time to get back into our routine, I just hope we can handle it. I may be asking for your prayers in the days ahead.

Wow, okay, that turned out to be long. I promise that my next post won't be just one big complaint....
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...