Sunday, August 03, 2008

by request

As requested in my handy Skribit suggestion box:

"write about your weightloss journey and how it all started and where you are at now! Successes!"

Hmmm. What to say about my weight loss journey. I was not heavy throughout most of my childhood & my teen years, in fact, I went through a stage in about the 8th grade where I was too skinny. However, as happens to a lot of people, once I settled down & got married the pounds started piling on. By the time we'd been married 8 years or so I'd put on about 100 pounds. Not good. I was 100 pounds overweight when I got pregnant with Jonathan, but thankfully didn't experience any weight related complications. (I had plenty of those without them being weight related.)

I had tried several different methods over the years, some successfully, but never stuck with any of them long term. I even joined Weight Watchers at one point in 2001 (I think) and lost about 40 pounds. Unfortunately I got comfortable with where I was & went back to my old ways. Those 40 pounds came back and they each brought a friend.

I kept waiting for a "defining moment" or some grand epiphany to happen so I would be ready to lose the weight. One never came. Finally I decided that I had to do something about it whether or not some life changing event occurred. Jonathan was getting to the age where he was more & more mobile and I wanted to be able to keep up with him. I had joined a mom's group and met another mother who had recently joined Weight Watchers so I decided to re-join & attend meetings with her. I don't know how to explain it, but for some reason it just really clicked this time.

I joined in November 2007 and have not once even thought about quitting. Sure, I have days where I don't do as well as I should, but I know that "tomorrow is a new day" and I can get right back on plan. I can actually see myself reaching my goal weight & maintaining it. I'm certainly not saying that I think it will be easy, I know it's something I'll struggle with for the rest of my life. But thankfully, Weight Watchers isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle change. It's something you can do forever. The basic principle is portion control. I love that I can eat anything I want.... within moderation. If I want to have a hamburger from Wendy's, then by golly I have one. But I've learned to cut my portions back significantly by ordering off the kids menu.

Goodness... it feels like I'm rambling. Well, here are a couple of pictures.

The first one was taken on Halloween 2007, just a couple of weeks before I joined WW.

The next one is the most recent picture I have of me. It was taken at my birthday party on 7/5/08. As of the date of this picture I had lost 43.6 pounds. I've lost another 3.4 since then so that puts my total at 47 pounds lost. I'm almost halfway there!!!

I still have a lot of work to do, but I know I can succeed. Chris & the rest of my family & friends have been so supportive during this journey and I'm eternally grateful to them. I couldn't do it without y'all.

Well, that turned out to be a novel. I have a couple of more suggestions in my box; I'll try to get to them over the next day or so. Stay tuned!!!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Jen said...

That is awesome work Misti!! I've got to get back on the weight loss bandwagon! Great job, I'm so impressed and newly motivated! Keep up the good work!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...