Friday, May 07, 2010

Show Us Your Life: Your Kid’s (or Future Kids) Names

Kelly’s Korner is one of my favorite blogs. She’s a wonderful Christian lady who has one of the cutest babies ever. Each week she hosts “Show Us Your Life” where bloggers post on the same subject & she puts up a list. It’s a great way to get ideas for all kinds of things.

This week’s topic is kid’s names. How did you come up with yours & what (if any) do you hope/plan to use in the future.

For someone who’s not currently pregnant, I think about baby names an insane amount. I can’t tell you how many conversations I’ve had with Lisa and my mom about the subject. We often call each other with suggestions and spend a lot of time discussing the advantages/disadvantages of each name.

I’ll be the first to admit that I have a lot of “requirements” for names. Our last name is very short & blunt, so I have a hard time finding names I think sound good with it.

Some of my “rules” are:

* the first name should be {at least} three syllables
* the middle names should be {at least} two syllables
* no short “a” sound
* preferably doesn’t start with an “a” or “m”
* preferably doesn’t end with an “n”
* has a good meaning

Yes, I know that’s crazy. It drives my mom nuts. LOL

Anyway…. on to the names.

Boy name: Jonathan David
I honestly don’t remember how we originally came up with the name Jonathan. I think it had something to do with the Jonathan in the Bible. He was David’s best friend & very loyal. Jonathan means “God has given”, and that’s certainly true of our little man. The middle name, David, was easy to choose. It’s Chris’ middle name as well as his father’s.

Here are a few of the names I’ve been tossing around lately:

Boy:
Jeremy
Jeffrey
Timothy

Girl:
Elizabeth
Olivia

As for middle names, I’m not sure. My dad would LOVE, love, love for us to use Porter {my maiden name} as the middle name, but I haven’t made up my mind yet.

So… play along! What names have you used or hope to use? How did you decide on them?

Maybe I’ll get some more to add to my list. ;D

1 comment:

Already Happy said...

Your requirements are a little...specific, but I guess it is good for a woman to know what she wants! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...