Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Help

As I've mentioned in the past, Rebecca and I are on a quest to attend as many book signings/readings as we can. In the past year we've been to events for Jodi Picoult and Ree Drummond aka The Pioneer Woman. I've been an avid reader since childhood and love that we can meet some of our favorite authors this way.

Recently, thanks to Rebecca & Lisa, I began reading a new {to me} book review blog that's written by a friend of Lisa's. From the first time I read Babbette's Book Blog, I was hooked. I'm always on the lookout for new books, and I love reading reviews. Several weeks ago Babbette aka Elisabeth posted about an author event coming up for the book, The Help. I already had it on my to read list, but it was instantly moved to #1. Rebecca & I made plans to attend so I ran out & bought the book.



Can I just say, I loved it! I don't think I could do the book justice, so head over to Babbette's & read her review. Then, go get yourself a copy & get to reading!

I think I was more excited about this reading/signing than I had been for the other two. The Help is Kathryn Stockett's first novel, and I couldn't wait to meet her & hear her talk about the book.

Of course we had to document the event with pictures. This first one is taken before the event started. We were expecting a larger crowd than there ended up being, so we got there pretty early. The lady sitting in front of us was kind enough to take our picture. She looked so familiar to me & it turns out she's the "storytime" lady from our library branch!

Rebecca & I with the author, Kathryn Stockett. She was so sweet & so petite. Hey, that rhymed.

The proud owners of autographed books.

Elisabeth aka Babbette & her husband, Scott were there so we were able to meet them. I really enjoyed chatting with them. Rebecca & I dubbed ourselves "Babbette's Fan Club". We're going to get t-shirts made! ;oD

My friend Tennille was also there so it was nice to see her as well. She's due to have a baby boy in July & I'm so excited for her & her husband, Chawn.

We're now on the lookout for our next event, and I can't wait until we find something!

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

ummm - you posted before I could approve photos! :)

Elisabeth said...

YAY!! I'm going to try to post something today thanks to your pictures! This was so fun! You have to keep me in the loop when you learn of other author reading & signings... fun! I love new friends!

Elisabeth said...

Oh, and no t-shirts, please! But I'll let you pimp my blog any other way you wish! (I know this is a family friendly blog - can I say 'pimp'?)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...